Thursday, October 17, 2013

Keep Your Heels, Head, & Standards High

As an outsider looking in, I have the gift of hindsight. When I was an undergrad, there were only two sororities on campus. The same two sororities for at least 19 years. Founded in the same year on that campus. Constantly compared to each other. We were pinned against each other from the start. Being that I live in Georgia, and this particular sorority was founded in the South, they always seemed to come out on top. Recruitment was a breeze for them. They were so well known, women attended KSU to be in that chapter.

Delta Phi Epsilon held our own, but for a while we were really struggling. We wouldn't make quota, and didn't have the best chapter image. And what did we do? We judged our opponent, and judged them hard. When they won competitions, we would say really catty things about them and hate on them extensively. It wasn't pretty, but it made us feel better for not being everyone's #1 favorite.

Well, now the high heel is on the other foot. In five years, Delta Phi Epsilon has risen to the top of the pyramid. Among five sororities now on KSU's campus, my sisters are the vision of a thriving chapter. Making quota, killin' it with events, and working their butts off to compete in Homecoming events.

Problem: When one rises to the top, everyone will scramble to make them fall down. To that, I say good luck.

This is a problem I'm sure many campuses face. I urge my sisters at KSU, and the women of other chapters on that campus to please practice tactful sportsmanship. Be better women (we once were in their shoes) than those who slander, gawk, and make fun of achievements and shortcomings.

To my DPhiE sisters, hold your heads high and the standards of excellence expected of you even higher. Be sportsmanlike and beautiful. Be kind. I have learned in my experience of being everyone's last pick sorority to the sorority conquering every Homecoming and Greek Week that cattiness does not take you far. Clap for your fellow Panhellenic sisters even if you think they don't deserve the recognition. Give them zero reasons to want to knock you down.

I'm proud of my chapter at KSU. These women have shown me what PRIDE in your chapter should look like. It looks like a group of women who goes hard to achieve nothing short of the best. It looks like a group of women who do not publicly mock other sororities when they succeed. I believe their strength, kindness, and determination motivate me to be a better alumnae sister.




No comments:

Post a Comment