Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Book Review: I Heart Recruitment - A.C.E. Your Values


Today's lesson: Achieving, Communicating, and Expecting the values of our sorority. 

Identifying your values is the first step towards a rockin' recruitment. For most, this should be easy. They are all throughout our ritual book, on your website, on some of your t-shirts, and have been spouting out at you at every chapter meeting in one way of another. Now, instead of nodding back at your Leadership team or snapping in approval, think about their actual meaning.

How do you live your ritual?

Delta Phi Epsilon's core values of Justice, Sisterhood, and Love (cue snaps and hugs) seem pretty straight forward. I challenge you to dig a little deeper. How do you internalize your values?


For me:

  • Justice: Am I fair and kind to my fellow sorors? Panhellenic sisters? Fellow females? 
  • Sisterhood: How can I reach out and lend a hand to a sister in need? Do I hold them in high regard? Are they a priority?
  • Love: This is not a romantic love. This love is one that leads me blindly into any chapter room of DPhiE and compels me to care. I care about their chapter struggles and triumphs. How can I show my support for my sisters and our philanthropies?
Once I have identified and internalized our values, I move on to communicating them. Blogging about my experience is a nice touch. But I am constantly a representative of my international organization at work as well. To communicate our values, I am prompt, work hard, and remain organized. Otherwise, I am left looking a little hap-hazard and don't represent the leadership training my sorority experience invested in me. 

Finally, you better believe I expect nothing less from the women I advise. Without coming off as a raging psychopath, I communicate my expectations of this newest class of women wearing MY letters. I expect from them what was expected of me. At recruitment workshops, I stress the importance of finding these core values within the women we choose to offer bids to. It seriously takes half the work out of the New Member Education Program, and ensures the chapter will continue on after they are all long gone. Graduated... not dead. 

I really enjoyed reading this chapter. It easily breaks down the steps to a process I  have been practicing mentally for years. 

Happy Informal Recruitment Day 1!

No comments:

Post a Comment