Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Book Review: I Heart Recruitment - Know Your Product



What's it all worth?

Let's face it, you are paying a lot in dues, times, and energy. What do you get out of being in your sorority? 

If you can't answer this question without digging really deep to find, "I made a lot of friends and they are cool," you've got some work to do. 

Recruiting new members for your sorority does not just benefit your chapter, it also benefits the women joining. But what exactly are those benefits? Whats the VALUE of your sorority. 

Now we have used the word "value" in several ways while talking about this book, so let's be specific before we move on. For this post, "value" means worth, not traits. Value refers to leadership training, friendships, social events, and their future job hunts. 

Now, I value benefits of my sorority experience in a VERY different way than my fellow sisters from the same chapter. Why? Because I was looking for something specific. Coming to college from a high school with no spirit (our football team was seriously lacking since we were a new school), I was looking for something to become incredibly spirited about. A "team" to be proud of. A team that could one day turn me into a leader. When I found my home in Delta Phi Epsilon, I saw this quality of pride in the women who recruited me, and that was one reason I joined. 

In talking about your sorority, I challenge you to ask a very important question to your conversation partner: "What are YOU looking for?" Chances are this is a question they can answer quickly, and will clearly steer your conversation in a direction other sororities and organizations on your campus have not tried. 

Don't forget to listen to your potential new member. If they talking sorority talk with you, they are interested in knowing more. Speak from the heart, and find a way to connect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment