Monday, September 16, 2013

Diversity and Like-mindedness



Something I find fascinating about alumnae life is meeting women from other chapters who come together for alumnae events. I like to imagine what they would have been like in college if they were in my chapter. What would they have accomplished? Who would they had hung out with? Would they have liked our chapter, or given the chance and not knowing any different, would they have joined another organization?

It's interesting to wonder what came first? It's a "chicken or the egg" kind of thinking. Do the women make the sorority, or does the sorority make the woman? I'd like to think it goes both ways. Maybe you join a sorority because you like their colors, mascot, or t-shirts (let's be real). But most women find their "fit" because they met a sister who they really liked. Really clicked with. When you trace these sisters' attributes back, you'll find they often grow into these really cool people through being a part of their sorority.

Tonight my alumnae association had our monthly dinner/ meeting. As I looked around the table, I felt a real sense of pride. We didn't all look a-like. We didn't have the same hair, didn't wear the same clothes. We were diverse; in skin color, shape, mannerisms, energy, and laughter. What truly brought us together was our commitment to think and act for the greater good of the chapters in Georgia. This group of multi-talented, smart, interesting, beautiful women gathered together because we are all passionate about giving back to our collegiate sisters. 

I am excited to start the adventure of the Georgia Alumnae Association. Just knowing the women at tonight's table share my belief in the impact we can make on our collegiate chapters gives me that little extra boost of persistence. We may not be a "cookie cutter" crew, but we are dedicated to a lifetime of sisterhood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment