Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Dedication - In the Big Kid World



When I told my boyfriend the subject of this blog post, his response was to pick up a guitar and lightly strum a major chord while saying the following:
"Dear Deephers, when you commit to something, commit 100%. Not 90%, and not 110% because you'll get tired."

As ridiculous as he was trying to be, he's kind of right. Don't over commit. 

I know a girl, I guess I should say woman because that seems more respectful. This year, she has taken on quite a lot. Said woman has school on top of athletics on top of a social life on top of a leadership position in her sorority. I am all for a well rounded collegiate experience, but there comes a point where you can become completely overwhelmed and pull away from people who love you. In her case, she has stopped performing her duties on leadership with no explanation to her fellow team members. She seems down, and embarrassed to talk about how she is struggling to keep it all together.

Sound like someone you know from your chapter? 

This girl could have been me. If you read my very first post, you know I was incredibly involved in my chapter. What you don't know is on top of that commitment I juggled 4-5 part time jobs, performed as a theatre major, ran my own small business making t-shirts, and with the time left over I maintained a pretty typical social life. There were times I felt uncomfortably busy. There were times one piece of the pie was left neglected. Looking back now, I would offer myself the following advice:


  • Prioritize - not everything is the same level of importance every day. In college, family and school should be first in line. That family includes your sisters.
  • Organize - after figuring out which projects are most important, make an action plan to keep up with daily tasks. 
  • Ask for help - there are very few times you are on an island alone. Most likely, you are a part of a team. Swallow your pride and ask for help from your team members. They'll thank you for opening up and stop moping. 
  • Know when to bow out gracefully - there is absolutely no shame in saying, "I have taken on too much". Yes, it is hard to form those words, but you'll find when you do there are 10 girls in line ready to take over for you. Don't let down your team, family, or workplace. Struggling to maintain the minimum is not healthy for any organization. Think of the greater good: yours and your fading project.  

I follow these simple guidelines in my adult life. I promise to dedicate as much of my time and energy to each compartment of my life, or let someone else improve what I would find burdensome. Dedication is a value with many layers. Dedicate yourself to a goal. Dedicate yourself to your family. Dedicate yourself to doing what is right for your sorority.

Do your personal best, or just let go. You'll find more room in your schedule, brain, and in your heart. 
Have courage. 



No comments:

Post a Comment