Friday, July 25, 2014

International Convention 2014: Day Two

Good morning sisters!

Went on a quick run this morning to wake myself up. It was beautiful here at the Coronado Springs Disney resort. 


 Watch out, I'm visioning...
Envisioning the future with Amanda Pouchot from Levo League: 
Amanda led us through a series of questions to help us visualize our future. Some of the questions she asked really opened my eyes to what my life could be like if I could not fail. She talked about how we should eliminate the word "failure" and replace it with "mistake". I have always thought about learning from my mistakes to make myself a better woman. And believe me, there have been plenty of mistakes in my life. I believe college life really sets you up to fall flat on your face sometimes, but learning to pick yourself back up and start again is a truly valuable lesson. Resilience... its an important skill to learn. 

Leadership Panel:
I was fortunate enough to be asked to moderate a panel of inspirational sorority women during the Leadership Panel discussion today. The women at the table were entrepreneurs, International Headquarters Staff, a Chapter President, and a School Principal. Sitting at that table, I learned a great deal about the different types of leaders. It is important to identify what kind of leader you are, in order to operate most effectively in your role. I believe I am a "let me do it" kind of leader, in which I lead by example, but that sometimes can lead to me working myself to death to get things done. I am going to work towards being a type of leader that encourages people to come up with ideas and systems on their own, even if it was first my idea. People will become more invested in the task or event if they believe they are the true driving force behind it. 


Celebration of Service Luncheon:
At this lunch event, collegiate and alumnae chapters were recognized for their outstanding service to our philanthropies and sorority as a whole. This biennium, Delta Phi Epsilon raised $207,000 for Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders and the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation combined. Over $243,000 was raised in the last two years for the Delta Phi Epsilon Educational Foundation, with $102,000 of that sum coming from the Dimes for DPhiE campaign in March. That's a staggering amount of money being out towards bettering our sisters and the world through scholarships, research, and awareness. 

Proud shout out to the Alpha Epsilon chapter at Kennesaw State University for bringing home (for the 3rd biennium in a row, I believe) the Outstanding Hospitality Certificate. Just some good ole fashioned southern women running the show in Kennesaw. Well done, ladies. 


Grand Chapter Part One: 
Some great information about the sorority was given during the State of the Sorority and other reports. We are expanding at a rapid pace. 
In this Biennium:
  • # of chapters grew from 80 to 90 chapters plus 3 colonies. 
  • average chapter size went from 56 members to 71 members.
  • 9% increase in active membership
  • 87 ANAD events were held, 84 CFF events were held. 
  • average chapter GPAs was 3.12
  • 30+ recognized Alumnae Associations
  • 8 Engage U sessions were held.
  • 50 chapter visits
That's some incredible growth in only two short years. Snaps to us! 

Here I am preparing to represent the Georgia Alumnae Association beside my counterpart at the Metro Atlanta Alumnae Association. Thanks to Carla Walker for being a soccer mom and snapping this pic!


Time to hit the parks! 

 Here we are at Epcot. There are no words... only memories. 


No comments:

Post a Comment